Thursday, March 10, 2011

40 Day & 40 Nights...

It is that time of the year again...  Lent.  I have never been the type of person to really keep track of this... or even stick to my religion.  For those of you that are not sure of what Lent is - it is a time period of 40 days in which a person (usually someone of Catholic Religion) is supposed to give up something.  This will usually take place during this time and will end on Easter Sunday.  Honestly... I really couldn't give you much more information than all of that - because even if I am baptized Catholic - I do not practice the religion.

There are so many things a person can give up - from luxuries to Necessities... bad habits or addictions or even everyday spending.  The forty days without your Luxuries... (so to say), will teach you devotion, strength, self-restraint, sacrifice, compassion (hopefully) and of course Faith... amongst other things.  Lent is also about making sacrifices for someone who made them for you.

I know that many people choose a range of different things that they are going to give up during lent...  smoking, drinking, fast food, caffeine... the options are endless.  Though these things can be important to others...  I don't smoke, drink on occasion and that is rare... I am not the biggest fan of fast food and lately - I have been really good at not drinking my favorite Pepsi...  but, there are some things that I would like to give up to be a better person for myself and my family.

First and foremost...  I NEED TO STOP LOSING MY TEMPER.  This is very difficult for me because lately I have been able to easily fly off the handle without any warning.  Watch out, here comes Hurricane Honey.  The difficulty in that is that my family will feel my wrath more than anything... even if it has nothing to do with them.  Unfortunately - they are always with me and therefore, they get the blunt part of it all...  and it is just not nice to live with.  Times are also pretty tough on us right now... so that can definitely add strain to everyday life... leaving you vulnerable to all the negativity and hate out in the world... and making it easy to lose your temper on any given moment.  I am working on this... and I am planning on giving this up.  Lord, please give me the strength to get through this one.


NO MORE SLEEPING IN!  This may seem like it is not that big of a deal to a normal person... but I have been struggling with getting up early - taking Ka'eo to school and then coming home and jumping back into bed.  I don't get the normal 6 hours minimum of sleep, sometimes I don't sleep till after 3am and have to be up at 6:30am - but I know that when I go back to sleep, the entire day seems to just fall apart.   No more of this!!!  I am going to get up, take Ka'eo to school and stay up.  Of course... if it is at all possible to take a nap later in the day... I will definitely take advantage of it - I'm sure.  But, staying up and not going back to bed will allow me to catch up on much needed work (like blogging more) and most importantly... I get to spend quality time with my family.

So - this year...  I am working on those two things.  My goal is to "give them up" completely... and I'm hoping that this 40 day time period will keep me grounded and open to many successes. :)

I'm sure I will be blogging about this experience through out the next 40 days... so stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shop My Style!

ShareThis