Sunday, May 22, 2011

Queen Helene - Royal Curl, Product line Review



Wacky, crazy, frizzy hair... yup, that's me!  I have been searching franticly for a hair product(s) that can help to tame my unruly curls... and though I have found my fair share of awesome hair care products... I have yet to find one that is affordable and doesn't hold such a hefty pricetag.

A couple of weeks ago - I received the Queen Helene's Royal Curl Haircare Line sample products complimentary from BeautyStat.  I have tried Queen Helene skincare products before in the past and I really enjoyed them, so I was quite excited to try something from their Haircare line as well.  Here is what I received:


Royal Curl - Stay Clean Shampoo
From the Queen Helene site:  In a hive, the queen’s sole sustenance is Royal Jelly, a nutrient packed super-food with 17 amino acids, vitamins A, B, C, D, and K. We use the Queen Bee’s secret in Stay Clean Shampoo to keep the kink out of your curls and smooth over your waves. A shot of Sea Kelp Extract gently boosts the cleaning action, while nourishing Mandarin Orange Extract and antioxidant Green Tea restore moisture and help defend against harmful heat and humidity. Gentle enough to use daily, but effective enough to use less frequently.  All natural: No harsh, irritating chemicals like alcohol, sulfates, petrolatum, parabens or phthalates. 


Royal Curl - Moisture Rich Conditioner
From the Queen Helene Site:  To powerfully remove frizz, define curls and smooth waves, let your hair feast on all-natural Royal Jelly, the nutrient packed super-food that feeds the Queen Bee in her hive. Packed with 17 amino acids plus vitamins A, B, C, D, and K, the Royal Jelly inMoisture Rich Conditioner works with Jojoba Seed Oil and Green Tea antioxidants to deliver luxurious shine and ultimate softness while defending hair from heat and humidity.  All natural: No harsh, irritating chemicals like alcohol, sulfates, petrolatum, parabens or phthalates. 



Royal Curl - Curl Shaping Creme 15oz
From the Queen Helene Site:  In a hive, there’s only one queen whose diet is only Royal Jelly, a nutrient packed super-food with 17 amino acids, vitamins A, C, D, K and multiple B-vitamins. We use the Queen Bee’s Royal Jelly in Curl Shaping Créme to naturally tame frizz, define curls and smooth waves with silky hold. Pure Aloe Vera Gel and Agave Nectar quench your hair’s thirst without the grease, while powerful Green Tea antioxidants and intense moisturizers defend against damaging heat and humidity.  All natural: No harsh, or drying chemicals like alcohol, sulfates, petrolatum, parabens or phthalates. 


Royal Curl - Curl Smoothing Oil 4oz
From the Queen Helene Site:  Curl Smoothing Oil hydrates locks, smoothes over frizz and prevents future breakage. Pure Corn and Meadowfoam Seed Oils plus powerful Green Tea antioxidants humectify the delicate hair shaft and defend against damaging heat and humidity giving your hair great softness and shine for days.  All natural: No harsh, or drying chemicals like alcohol, sulfates, petrolatum, parabens or phthalates. 



I like the fact that they are water based, not oil based.  This was especially effective because other hair products tend to break me out tremendously... and I have not experienced any breakouts while using these product.  I also like that it is all natural (as you have read above) and that many of the ingredients are great for your hair.  I was a little freaked out about using Royal Jelly in my hair (wondering if it would attract bees... hehe!  I am deathly allergic. lol). 

COST:  For the most part... I did like the product.  The cost is awesome - ranging from approximately $8.99 - $10.00 at your local drug stores like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart and at some of your favorite Natural Food and Organic Stores.  Of course, you would need to check to see if your local store carries this particular line. Considering the amount of product you get in each bottle or container - that is a great deal of savings for your pocket.  I especially believe you will save money with the Curl Shaping Creme, because the container is huge - a whopping 15oz worth of product... and you need very little to get the job done.  I barely put a dent in my container in the last 2 weeks I have been using it.  

SCENT:  The shampoo and conditioner have a fairly pleasant scent.  It smells like a regular scented shampoo... nothing unusual there.  I will mention that the Curl Shaping Creme has a very strong smell to it... very much like a chemical smell that is not very pleasant when applying to your hair.  It doesn't last long however, and once it dries... you will not smell that same smell on your hair at all.  The problem though, is that while it is drying... the scent is quite strong - sometimes I felt like I was in a salon and getting highlights done.  Though it may not be that strong to others... my smell sensitivity is quite heightened and at times it was a bit difficult for me.

GETTING the JOB DONE:  I was not completely satisfied with the way the shampoo and conditioner cleaned my hair.  It seemed like I had to use a ton of product to get my hair saturated enough to make it feel clean.  The shampoo didn't lather that much (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but it also didn't really clean as well as some of my other drug store shampoos.  I felt like I had to use the whole bottle (though I didn't) in order to get the result and cleanliness that I was looking for.  The conditioner didn't leave my hair soft and silky like some of the other conditioners I use and again - I felt like I was using the whole bottle to condition my hair.  The conditioner did not seem thick enough for my thick & coarse hair... so therefore, I had to use more than I wanted to.  The shampoo and conditioner was not my favorite of the product line... and after my shower, I felt like my hair was just not silky and actually felt dry and dirty.  I had to rewash my hair again the following day because my hair felt like I went through a dust storm.  I don't like to wash my hair every day(I only wash every other day) because it is very drying on my hair - but with the shampoo and conditioner, I had to wash every day if I used it.  So - I stopped using this product after a few times... after realizing that it was the cause for the funky hair.

The Curl Shaping Creme definitely kept my hair tame & unruly.  I applied it to my wet hair as instructed and it formed my curls nicely.  There were a few downsides however - my hair felt kind of stiff and crispy after the product dried - which I'm sure that is how it kept my curls in shape.  Using it in combination with the smoothing oil worked well and all in all - this is probably my favorite product from this line.  Though the smell is strong like I mentioned above, I liked that it really did keep my hair curled nicely and neat.  For softer curls...  use a little less product and comb through your hair a little with your finger tips - that worked well for me.

The Curl Smoothing Oil seemed to do its job pretty well.  For the money... I thought it was a pretty good buy and the price tag is awesome for a hair serum on the market.  It had a liquid consistency - so you have to be a little careful when pouring out of the bottle... or you may have too much product in your hand.  I tried using it as a hot oil treatment - and it did okay, but I think I will use this as a serum instead.

All in all, the products are pretty okay for the price tag.  I would definitely consider buying them again - or at least the Shaping Creme and the Smoothing Oil.  The shampoo and conditioner was not a plus in my book... maybe just because I have thick hair.  I thought that my hair felt dirty and sticky and yucky because of the curl shaping creme... but tried to use the products individually and noticed that it was the shampoo and conditioner that was causing the problem.  I do want to note that after using the products for 2 weeks - my scalp started to get really dry and I developed a mild case of dandruff but again, I think it was the shampoo/conditioner.  Now - keep in mind that it could simply be because I have sensitive skin or because I am just weird. :)  I do recommend trying the products for yourself... because they entire line is fairly inexpensive and everyone has different types of hair - so this product may work for you.   Like I mentioned above... 
I would certainly give two of these products a try again.

I know this was a really long review - but there definitely was a lot to discuss.  If you have any questions - please feel free to comment or email me at beautybyhoney@gmail.com. :)

For more information on the Royal Curl Line of products and where you can purchase them - please visit:  www.queenhelene.com 


FTC:  I received the Queen Helene Royal Curl Hair Products complimentary from BeautyStat for Review.  My review and opinions on this product are my own and I was not compensated or paid in any way to provide this review.

Photos in this post were taken from the Queen Helene site.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shop My Style!

ShareThis